Sunday, November 28, 2010

I'm On A Bus!

I've traveled quite a bit the past few weeks and with that have found the best possible way to make myself the most unattractive bus seat partner in the history of the world. I would like to share with you some of my findings.



1. sit in the isle seat; no one wants to climb over you
2. eat something! loud, crackly, greasy, and wafting with many smells
3. act like your sleeping; preferably with your mouth open and cue the drool
4. have all of your stuff strewn about the two seats in a frenzied mess (not a problem for me)
5. the more stuff the merrier
6. read the paper and open it up to an annoying wing spread
7. find a spot in the very front or the very back. The middle is a dangerous and popular place.
If it doesn't work out for you, always be polite and welcoming to your new riding buddy, as it is sometimes you who has to pick your poison.

I also find it really interesting to watch people during their search and try to understand their shopping behavior for the best bus partner. Are they looking for someone good looking? Are they looking for someone at a similar age? Are they looking for someone to engage in conversation with or someone that they are sure they won't have to speak with? In any case, its a two-way street for me. I love having my seat to myself, but I love meeting new people and figuring out why we are headed in the same direction.

Lastly, if I could find some capital, I would totally open a high-end bus line with the amazing genius of Mr. John Herbert. Who knows, maybe we could cook food on it? "Dine and Ride" "The Dining Car" "Culinary Tours," I really think I'm onto something here. Suggestions welcome. 

Since this blog is about food and not about buses, I'll get to the meat, as they say. (Do they say that??) Or in this case, the parsnip puree. A creamy, and sweeter sister option to a mashed potato, parsnip puree is a nice switch from the norm and tastes of the fall season. You could also call this a root vegetable puree, as I like to add rutabaga and two or three potatoes to achieve a certain viscosity. I've tried this puree a few different times, and the best way is to boil AND roast the vegetables. Boiling will help achieve a softness and the roasting will help to pull out all the natural sweetness. Easy, peasy.

5-7 medium sized parsnips
1 large or 2 small rutabagas
2-3 Yukon Gold potatoes
2 sprigs of sage
3 sprigs of thyme
1Tbls extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup heavy cream
1stick of unsalted butter, separated (a little more to taste if needed)
pinch of nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste

Turn your oven on to 375 degrees and start boiling water in a large pot. Peel the parsnips and be sure to cut around the fibrous heart in the middle. You don't have to worry about it as much at the skinnier bottom of the parsnip, so cut it in half first and then cut around the heart of the thicker top of the parsnip. Discard the hearts. Cut the parsnips into large cubes. Peel potatoes and cut into cubes of similar size. Do the same with the rutabaga. Remember to salt the water liberally. Add the cubed vegetables to the boiling water. Boil for 3 minutes. Drain the veggies and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with the olive oil, 1/2 stick of butter cut into large pieces, and a little salt and pepper (use white pepper if the speckle of the black pepper bothers you). In a baking dish add the sprigs of herbs whole and top them with the root vegetables. Cover with foil and cook for 15 minutes. Remove the foil, stir and cook for 10 more minutes uncovered. Remove the herb sprigs and transfer veggies to a food processor. Add the cream and the nutmeg and another 1/2 stick of butter in pieces. Puree until very smooth. Add more cream and butter to taste if necessary. Adjust seasoning. Serve immediately. If you wanted to be fancy, a drizzle of chive oil on the top for color or some simple chervil garnish would be lovely. Note! I have a note! You can make this puree one day ahead and refrigerate. Heat up in the oven, stir and serve. Naturally, you can substitute the cream with milk, but lets face it: it won't be as good.

My search for a riding partner ended today with a lovely, sleepy older Asian man who talks on his cell phone in (Chinese?) to his family while I try to understand what he's saying. A good pick, if I do say so myself. :) I'm headed back to the city after a wonderful holiday with my family and friends to begin my new job as a Private Chef. I'm working for a nice family in Scarsdale about 30 minutes north of the city. They live in a suburb with grass and dogs and many other soccer moms. It's a good break from the restaurant life. Not sure what the future will bring, but I am sure that dinner tomorrow will be delicious.

1 comment:

  1. I can attest to the deliciousness of the parsnip puree..Wonderful..
    I don't think the ride/eat bus is the way to go unless you could have 2 separate areas? What if someone did not like the lady with the loud, crackling, greasy smells? What if they wanted sweet, tasty, chocolate smells? I am sure you all will be able to come up with a viable solution! Looking forward to reading more of the blogs!

    ReplyDelete